The BEST Triple Decker Club Sandwich
So you think you love club sandwiches, do you? You don’t know good until you’ve had the BEST Triple Decker Club Sandwich.
What makes this club sandwich recipe the BEST you might ask? Well, a few things! Starting with the dreamy garlic basil mayo that we spread on the bread. Yowza!
We have a few more tips down below for making your club sammie the BEST including an unexpected sandwich topping that sends this sandwich through the roof!
- Tomato Knife: worth every penny for cutting tomatoes with ease
- Mandolin: for slicing the apple extra thin (yes, apple! keep reading…)
Before You Begin…
Quickly make that delicious garlic basil mayo so it has a little time to sit and meld flavors. It comes together easily and adds an incredible burst of flavor to the sandwich.
What is a Club Sandwich?
A club sandwich, also called a clubhouse sandwich, is a sandwich of bread (occasionally toasted), sliced cooked poultry, or fried bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, cheese and usually three slices of bread.
It is often cut into quarters or halves and held together by cocktail sticks.
What Goes in a Club Sandwich?
As with most sandwiches, club sandwiches can be customized to your liking, but generally club sandwiches have turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo and cheese. We are leveling up the traditional club sandwich with this recipe though with a few more toppings. Here is what you will need:
- Bread: a high quality white bread or multigrain bread
- Mayonnaise: any brand works great
- Green Leaf Lettuce: you could also use romaine
- Tomato: hothouse, vine ripe, or heirloom tomatoes are preferred
- Deli Roasted Turkey: take the time to stop at the meat counter and get some of the good turkey
- Deli Ham: you can get smoked ham, black forest ham or honey ham…whichever you prefer
- Granny Smith Apple: Trust me on this one! It adds a pop of sweetness and tang. So good!
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese: we always buy Tillamook but you can buy any good high quality brand of cheese
- Applewood Smoked Bacon: or you can buy brown sugar bacon and cook it until it’s nice and crispy
- Avocado: adds creaminess and just yumminess
- Salt and Pepper: add a little to the tomato slices and/or the avocado
Garlic Basil Mayo
- Mayonnaise: whatever your favorite brand is
- Basil: must be fresh
- Garlic: you can just throw the clove in whole
- Lemon: fresh lemon zest
The measurements and details for all the ingredients can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post. You can also save or print the recipe there.
Tips for the Best Club Sandwich
- Bread: Start off with good bread. We chose Dave Killer’s Bread as our partner for this post as the quality, taste and yes even texture are important for the best sandwich ever.
- Apple: You are nervous now, seeing that apple is involved but putting your trust in me here. Grab a Granny Smith apple and slice it nice and thin.
- Salt and pepper the tomatoes: We add a little salt and pepper to the tomatoes which seems unnecessary but trust me, it makes everything all the more flavorful.
- Garlic basil mayo: You’re going to lather this spread on all the layers of this club sandwich and adds amazing flavor and creaminess.
- Protein: We love having bacon, turkey and ham on this sandwich but you could add or change up the protein however you want. Roast beef or chicken would be great options!
What is the Difference Between a BLT and a Club Sandwich?
Typically, a BLT is a sandwich containing just bacon, lettuce and tomato. A club sandwich will also have those toppings but will also include cheese and other meats such as turkey and/or ham.
How is a Club Sandwich Different from a Basic Sandwich?
Really the only thing that will distinguish a club sandwich from any ol’ sandwich is the addition of a third slice of bread in the sandwich. A club sandwich will have a bottom slice of bread with all the layers of toppings, and then a slice of bread. That slice of bread is then topped with another round of all the toppings and then topped with the third slice of bread. So a slice of bread is sort of a topping itself.
What to Eat with Club Sandwiches
In these photos, we have added a side of pomme frites. Head to that post for all the tips for making delicious fries at home. Other fabulous sides for this sandwich would be a pasta salad, a fruit salad or just a bag of crunchy potato chips.
We all know that sandwiches don’t store super well. The bread gets soggy from the tomatoes and I don’t know anyone who wants soggy bread on a sandwich. I’m actually gagging just thinking about it! That being said, any leftovers will keep for about a day and should be stored in the fridge wrapped in plastic. But I strongly recommend just making the sandwiches that will be eaten fresh.
All the ingredients and toppings store well by themselves and sandwiches can be assembled quickly so they can be eaten fresh.
This club sandwich recipe hits every desire so you’ll ever need in a sandwich and you’ll want to eat the heck out of it. Crispy, fresh, saucy, sweet, tart, crunchy, creamy, smoky and flavorful in every way.
More of Our Favorite Sandwich Recipes:
The BEST Triple Decker Club Sandwich
So you think you love club sandwiches, do you? You don't know good until you've had the BEST Triple Decker Club Sandwich.
Servings 3 sandwiches
Start by making the garlic basil mayo by adding all the ingredients to a blender and mixing thoroughly. Store it in the fridge until you're ready to assemble the sandwiches.
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise, 2 Tablespoons Basil, 1 Clove Garlic, 1 Lemon
Toast your bread so that it has time to cool while you prep the rest of the toppings.
9 Slices [Dave’s Killer Bread White Bread]
On one piece of bread, slather on a healthy amount (and by healthy I mean really load it on there) of mayonnaise.
Add one leaf of lettuce, tomato slices, ham, apple and cheese.
Green Leaf Lettuce, 1 Large Hothouse Tomato, 1/2 pound Deli Ham, 1/2 Granny Smith Apple, Smoked Cheddar Cheese
Spread the garlic basil mayo liberally on the next slice of bread and place it mayo side down on the cheese, pressing gently to help the cheese stick to the bread.
Slather more mayonnaise on top of the bread and add lettuce, bacon, turkey, cheese and finally avocado.
Mayonnaise, Green Leaf Lettuce, Smoked Cheddar Cheese, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Roasted Turkey Deli Meat, 1 Avocado, Salt and Pepper
Spread more garlic basil mayo on the third slice of bread and press, mayo side down onto the avocado.
Add toothpicks, one in the top, bottom and each side and cut in fourths or just two toothpicks and cut in half.
Repeat with remaining bread.
Serve right away.
Store left overs in a plastic bag and eat within 1 day
| Calories: 564kcal | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
READ: The BEST Triple Decker Club Sandwich