This isn’t your traditional lasagna, but oh good heavens, the flavors of pork, butternut squash, browned butter, sage, and cheese is pure comfort! Browned butter pork and butternut squash lasagna is about to be your new favorite lasagna recipe!
You won’t find tomatoes, ricotta cheese or tomato sauce in this lasagna, but it is bringing all the feelings of warm winter comfort food to our family! The flavors are the most amazing combination! I mean it’s got pork, one of my all time favorite meats, browned butter-pure heaven, carbs-who doesn’t love carbs, and melty, gooey, delicious cheese. BOO-YAH!
I love comfort food more than anything else. Sure smoked pulled pork is stinking delicious, and Hawaiian Pulled Pork is absolutely mouth watering, but make me choose between one of those recipes and a comfort food like Browned Butter Butternut and Pork Lasagna and hands down the lasagna wins.
Creating Butternut Squash Lasagna
As soon as I got the email from the National Pork Board to create a few recipes for them I knew I’d say yes to working with them, but then they wanted comfort recipes?! Heck yeah I’m on board with that. And this lasagna was born. And we loved it. And now you will too.
I was looking through the recipe section on the Pork Be Inspired site and man, everything looks so juicy and delicious! I’ve found many a wonderful recipe there, but I was actually trying to make sure that there wasn’t a recipe like this one, which there isn’t. Butternut squash actually smells comforting. It’s so warm, nutty, and creamy. I just knew that a combination of my favorite fall/winter flavor with pork was totally the way to go. Oh, and there’s a secret in the puree, Ginger Snap cookies. Trust me, it’s exactly what the puree needs.
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Lasagna
I’m going to divide this recipe into 3 different parts – the butternut squash, the browned butter sauce (béchamel sauce) and the lasagna layers.
For the Squash
- Butternut Squash: peeled and chopped, ready for roasting
- Olive Oil: helps roast and caramelize the squash
- Salt & Black Pepper: adds flavor
- Sage: you’ll want fresh sage and we will use it to add flavor to the butternut squash puree
- Ginger Snap Cookies: an unexcepted ingredient but the flavor it adds it crucial
For the Browned Butter Sauce
- Butter: browned for added flavor and creates the base for the béchamel
- Garlic: adds flavor and can be increased or decreased to your liking
- Flour: combined with the butter is creates the creamy base for the béchamel
- Low Fat Milk: helps thin out the sauce
- Half and Half: adds creaminess and richness
- Nutmeg: adds flavor and warmth
- Salt and Black Pepper: adds flavor
For the Lasag