Fingerling potatoes brushed with garlic butter, seasoned with fresh herbs and roasted to golden perfection! This is a tried and true potato side dish in our house!
I adore fingerling potatoes, especially these rosemary and thyme fingerlings. They are creamy unlike Russet potatoes that are more starchy. I love how tender they are and while it doesn’t really do anything to the flavor, I also happen to love how little they are. They are just perfect for a delicious side dish.
What is a Fingerling Potato?
A fingerling potato is a small, stubby, finger-shaped type of potato. They are fully mature when harvested and should not to be confused with new potatoes.
Because they are low in starch, they are extra creamy inside. They have a very thin skin that doesn’t need to be peeled before cooking them, and they come in a variety of colors.
Can You Roast Fingerling Potatoes?
Fingerling potatoes are ideal for roasting. Their small size means they will roast up quickly and evenly.
Ingredients for Herb Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
You only need a few ingredients to make this potato recipe. Here is what you will need:
- Fingerling Potatoes: You can buy multicolored fingerlings or all one color.
- Olive Oil: used to roast the potatoes and make the outside crispy
- Butter: also helps with the crispiness and adds flavor
- Rosemary: strip the needles from the main twigs and finely chop the needles
- Thyme: grab a twig of thyme by one end and then pinch the twig between your thumb and index finger and run your fingers in the opposite direction that the little leaves are growing and the leaves will pop right off
- Garlic: the reason for garlic is always flavor, flavor, flavor
- Kosher Salt: adds flavor
This is meant to just be an overview of the ingredients used in the recipe. The measurements of each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Roasted Fingerlings
Fingerling potatoes look like the potatoes you would get at a fancy restaurant, so they must be difficult to make, right? Wrong! They are so simple and here is an overview of the
- Prep the oven and potatoes.
- Melt the butter, then add the olive oil, herbs and salt and stir together.
- Add the potatoes and stir until well coated.
- Place the potatoes cut side down on a baking sheet and roast in the oven.
- Flip the potatoes over part way through baking.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and top with the rest of the herbs.
Scroll down for the detailed instructions in the recipe card. You can also print and save the recipe there.
Tips for the Best Roasted Fingerlings
Try to keep the size of the potatoes the same so that they